Promoting Aerospace Industry in Estonia
Since 2008 Invent Baltics Ltd, together with Estonian Space Office nested in Enterprise Estonia, has been very active in developing space related entrepreneurship in Estonia and the Baltic States. We have been involved in the implementation of three (3) major public tenders, all focusing on fostering take-up of space technologies in private sector.
1) Public Tender “Guidelines for Estonian SMEs to facilitate their access to European aerospace and space industry” (2011-2014)
The Estonian aerospace sector consists mainly of small and medium size enterprises. Many of these companies have a great potential to offer high quality and innovative services to Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) and higher tier suppliers worldwide. Enterprise Estonia has taken a key role in establishing stronger links with the European aviation industry to facilitate its cooperation with the Baltic aviation companies with the ultimate goal to engage the latter as possible suppliers in the value chain.
The implementation of a respective programme was divided into different stages as follows:
- Mapping aerospace and space companies in Europe and worldwide, which could represent potential partners for Estonian companies.
- Organising workshops on business development of SMEs for entering the aerospace value chain, and relevant quality management issues.
- Organising a study tour for SMEs to meet Thales Alenia Space subsidiaries in France and Italy.
2) Public Tender “Introduction of the downstream applications and opportunities of space technology to the Estonian entrepreneurs” (2009-2010)
Among the results were:
- Training seminars and study trips in collaboration with prominent European space actors and supporting organisations (Italian Space Agency, UK Space Agency, German Aerospace Centre, EADS Astrium, Logica, ESRIN etc.)
- Development of partnership with prominent European Space players – Italian Space Agency, UK Space Agency, German Aerospace Centre, EADS Astrium, Logica, ESRIN
Estonian Space Strategy of Downstream Services – Technical and Benchmark Report
Space Downstream Services 2010 Conference SATFUTURIS (300 delegates, 15 countries)
3) Public Tender “Space related awareness for entrepreneurial and R&D activities” (2008)
Among the results were:
- Assessment of Estonian Space potential technology audits etc.
- White Paper “Towards Estonian Space Policy”
- Study trip to ESTEC and compilation of a workbook for entrepreneurs “How to cooperate with ESA”
- Training seminars for policy-makers and entrepreneurs organised in cooperation with International Space University
Senior consultant Tõnis Eerme